Top 5 ways to overcome long run fatigue and run strong !!

Majority of my runs on Sunday are solo runs. With the weather being cold and weekend plans popping up, i need to fight to get through the runs. To add to it the thought of running alone the entire way totally bores me out.

Below are the top 5 ways i try to overcome boredom by running alone and complete by run strong -


source
1) Listen to upbeat tunes : This is my first go-to method when i plan to run alone. Rule of thumb is always keep a  playlist of upbeat music ready. I always keep my iPod charged and updated with refreshing and inspiring tunes on Saturday. This is like a prep activity for my Sunday runs. 


source

2) Play an audio-book : I love reading personal development books. So i have tons of audio book or podcast which i love to hear often. So depending on my run, i would switch to run by listening to the audio-book. This gives me the double benefit of having read a book as well completing my run.


source
3) Counting Steps : During the initial days of running, i would forget to charge my iPod or update playlist on Saturday. So i had to go for runs without iPod. After few minutes i would get bored and quit halfway. Many a times i have also not completed the run as planned. So what worked for me for few days was to count my steps as I run. I would count from 1 to 100 and all over again as I ran. Although this was good for small runs, it helps to keep you focused and get the runs.


source
4) Go a new route : Explore and find new running routes in your area. This will make the run more excited. Unfortunately, I do not have many running routes  in my area and go for runs in usual garden. As this is a circular garden, on my normal runs i follow the usual route. But on days that i get bored, i try to run the same route the other way round. Meaning i start my run from the exit and run to the start. Looks silly but it keeps me motivated and interested to find my way and complete my run.


source

5) Self Talk : Last but not the least nothing works best like a good self talk. You need to keep reminding yourself WHY you want to run and keep pushing yourself. You need to visualize your goals and see yourself completing them as you run. You need to have a strong reason for running which you play over and over in your head while running that can help you stay focused and centered.

Linking up to running with spoons !!

No comments:

Post a Comment